ESNZ Jumping is delighted to announce there will be a Trans-Tasman Young Rider Test held at the Larsens Showjumping Championships in Gisborne.
A team of four riders will travel from Australia to compete in the test, which will be on borrowed horses. ESNZ Jumping selectors will appoint a team of four riders and a Chef d’Equipe.
The Trans-Tasman Young Rider Challenge is an annual event that has traditionally been a gripping battle between the nations. Last year this was won by New Zealand, in 2017 Australia won the test, and in 2016 it was won by New Zealand. We look forward to hosting another exciting and challenging test for our Young Riders in what is proving to be an exciting and even competition.
Event: NZ vs Australia Trans-Tasman Young Rider Test on borrowed horses
Where: Larsens Showjumping Championships in Gisborne 25-27 January 2019
Team size: A team of four riders plus a chef d’Equipe
Event type: Young Rider event on borrowed horses – riders are required to supply two horses for the event
Class Height: 1.20m
To apply for the team, check you meet the eligibility criteria below and submit expressions of interest by Friday 30th November. Email to Jumping@nzequestrian.org.nz
To register interest in Chef d’Equipe. Email to Jumping@nzequestrian.org.nz
- Be a current member of ESNZ;
- Be a Young Rider under the FEI Criteria i.e. A Person may compete as a Young Rider from the beginning of the calendar year in which they turn 16 until the end of the calendar year in which they reach the age of 21;
- Have competed at 1.25m or higher during the period 1 August 2017 – Present whether in Young Rider or Open competition and on more than one horse;
- Not be serving a period of ineligibility from competition for breach by them or a horse which they ride, of any applicable anti-doping rules or regulation;
- Must provide or source two horses capable of jumping 1.20m for the competition.
Rules: The competition will be run according to the rules in the ESNZ Jumping rule book:
- Competitions common to New Zealand v Australia on borrowed horses.
- 1. Young Rider Trans-Tasman Teams Event.
- 1.1. The course will be set at 1.20m with ten to eleven obstacles, including two doubles. The second round will be the same as the first.
- 1.2. First and second round speed equals 325m/mi, jumpoff at 350m/min.
- 1.3. The second round will be run in reverse order of teams faults, but teams will ride in original order e.g. one rider from each team.
- 1.4. There may be three refusals allowed per rider.
- 1.5. If eliminated the rider will incur +20 faults on the worst score of the round.
- 1.6. A bonus point will be given when three riders of the same team incurs 0 penalties in a round.
- 1.7. Best three scores to count.
- 1.8. If after the two rounds there is equality of team penalties (excluding bonus points) there will be a jumpoff of one nominated horse from each team. Rider to stay on original horse.
- 1.9. Points allocated; 1st = 5, 2nd = 3, 3rd = 1 (plus bonus points if applicable)
- 1.10. Jump-off. On occasions that teams other than New Zealand are competing, and one of them is equal with New Zealand or Australia, there is no need for a jumpoff. A jumpoff will always take place when Australia is equal to New Zealand.